Event Policies

Event Policies


This policy guide can serve as a resource for you as you start thinking about your campus events. Please do not hesitate to contact Student Activities and Involvement for more information about any of these policies. To read the policies in greater detail, refer to the Event Planning Manual.


Tabling is allowed in three places regularly: Reitz Union NW Walkway and Breezeway, Turlington Plaza, and Plaza of the Americas. Each organization can request to table up to 10 times in a 30 day period (per month). Tabling requires a permit submitted in Gator Connect. At your organization's table, make sure you do NOT:

  • Use amplified sound at either location except for a portable radio (laptop)
  • Use extension cords across either location at any time
  • Block any pedestrian or vehicular traffic
  • Allow vehicles to be parked on either location


There are 10 banner locations on campus: 6 at the Reitz Union, 4 in Plaza of the Americas.Reservations are done in person in Student Activities and Involvement. Organizations may reserve banner space for up to 5 days in a 30 day period (month). Reservations can only be made 30 days out from the date requested. All banners must come down by 5pm on the last day reserved. See the Banner Policy for official rules and size restrictions.


All student organization events or programs (excluding general organization meetings), that take place on University grounds, require an Event Permit obtained by completing a request through Gator ConnectThe purpose of this permit request is to help student organizations run their event smoothly and to identify what areas of campus need to be notified about a specific event. It is the responsibility of the organization’s President to designate officers in the organization who can submit permit requests. Submitting a permit request does NOT reserve the space for an event so you will have to go through the office that manages the space to submit that request.

Fireworks or Pyrotechnics

Use, possession, display, or storage by any student organization of any explosive device, pyrotechnic device or fireworks is prohibited on all land and buildings owned, leased, or under the control of the University of Florida. The use of fireworks displays or special effect production will be considered on a case-by-case basis by Student Activities and Involvement in accordance with the Fire Safety Policy and Procedure for Fireworks by Environmental Health & Safety and must be approved by EHS and the venue. The approval process takes about 4 weeks.

Live Animals

The use of live animals on campus for entertainment purposes is strictly prohibited and will not be allowed.

This includes but not limited to:


  1. Petting zoos or live animal displays
  2. Animal rides
  3. Animal races
  4. Shows involving animals

The use of animals for research, teaching, or exhibition is closely regulated by the federal government. High standards exist for the care and use of animals at UF. To ensure compliance with all regulations, policies and standards in place to protect animal welfare, Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) members review all requests for approval to use vertebrate animals.  Failure by any individual to adhere to these standards can jeopardize the University of Florida's entire animal use program.

Staked Tents

Staked tents are not allowed unless proper dig permits are filed with the Office of the Physical Plant at least 2 weeks in advance.  

Food at Events

The UF Food Contract states the Reitz Union and surrounding areas is restricted to using Aramark/Classic Fare Catering (see JWRU food policy). A Food Form must be filled out and submitted to SAI. This form is found in the permit on Gator Connect. The sale of ANY food by student organizations is prohibited. Any food given away must be prepared in kitchens inspected by the Health Department (i.e., restaurants or caterers) so you may not bake anything in your home kitchens and give it away. Off-campus vendors may only give away food at Turlington Plaza, Plaza of Americas, Hume Field, and Flavet Field.

Alcohol at Events

Alcoholic beverages may be served or sold at an on-campus function sponsored by a student organization only in very limited situations.  Prior written approval from the Dean of Students Office and an event permit from Student Activities & Involvement are required. For off-campus events where alcohol may be served, please review the best practices for Off-Campus Events in the Student Organization Handbook. Your organization is responsible for following the law and being safe! Please review the University of Florida Alcohol Policy for more information.


Amplified Sound

Any requests for amplified sound usage must be cleared through staff in Student Activities & Involvement. Amplified sound is not permitted during class time outdoors on campus or during the day outside in the area around Turlington Plaza.

See Chapter 2 of the Florida Regulations for more information on sound in Outdoor Areas.



A contract is needed any time you are paying an individual or business to perform a service. This shall include but is not limited to: Bands (any musical performance), Lecturer/Speaker (any person presenting a lecture), DJ, Graphic Designers, Instructors (yoga, dance),  etc.

If you are Student Government funded, the SAI must be involved in all contact with agents for speakers, negotiations, offers, and the completion of the contract.  A verbal offer on the phone is considered binding. Student organizations may not legally do contracts with outside vendors.

The contract process must begin at least 20 business days (4 weeks) in advance.

For Bands please meet with SAI Staff to assist you in contract negotiation and planning. All Concerts must be co-sponsored by Student Government Productions or Reitz Union Board Entertainment.




  • Must have Organizational Logo on them
  • Materials making reference to the use, sale, consumption or distribution of alcohol or illegal drugs are prohibited, including, but not limited to advertising of 2-4-1 specials, beat-the-clock deals, happy hours, lady’s night, or illustrations/photos depicting these activities

Posting Materials

  • Posters or flyers may only be placed on public bulletin boards around campus (No trees, walls, doors, cars, etc.).
  • Posting materials in on-campus housing facilities requires permission from the Department of Housing and Residence Education.

Passing Out Materials

  • No leaving stacks of materials unattended on university grounds
  • No distribution/posting of materials inside university buildings
  • Materials may not be forced on individuals or thrown on ground as litter



For fundraising events that are held on campus, all funds raised must be donated to a charitable cause or be used for educational purposes (conference travel, programs, competition, lectures or forums, etc.). The following are approved ways to fundraise on campus. If you have other ideas for a fundraiser, please speak with someone in SAI:

  • Penny voting
  • Silent auctions
  • 3-5K run/walk
  • Walkathon
  • Sports tournament
  • T-shirt, button, hat, etc., sales (ONLY if item is personalized for event or student organization)
  • Face tattoos or painting (organization must work w/ the University Athletic Association if for an athletic event)
  • Speed Dating (No Dating Games or Dating Auctions)
  • Volunteer at Gator Nights (food scholarship)

For a list of approved and unapproved fundraising events on campus, click here.




Run/Walks on campus can happen on a first come, first served basis, via submission of permit. They are limited to Saturdays or Sundays. You must select from three pre-approved routes. Any Walk/Run event CANNOT happen on a home football weekend. Organizations are responsible for all University Police (UPD) and other related expenses (approximately $300 for UPD).



Collaboration with other stakeholders on campus is recommended and promotes University partnerships. A Co-Sponsorship Agreement Form is highly recommended for proper communication and administration of your co-sponsored events. This form can be found in Gator Connect as part of the permitting process.

If you are approached about a “co-sponsorship” by non-university groups or commercial vendors, please contact SAI to have the inquiry reviewed on a case-by-case basis. Do not reserve meeting rooms for these vendors. Your organization must be the main sponsor and the headliner on all promotional materials (i.e. RUB Entertainment presents…). Logos are permissible but must be approved by SAI.


Background Color:
Background Pattern: